What Does 'In the World' Mean?



"These things I have spoken to you, that, in me, you might have peace. In the world, you have tribulation:
but be encouraged: I (Jesus) have overcome the world."

John 16:33


The Apostle Paul teaches us that, as Christians, we're in the world, but not of the world. That means we live in a troubled and wayward world, but that we're not supposed to be of the world's corrupt ways. Instead, we're supposed to be overcomers, in Jesus. We're supposed to be alert to sin, but not in sin.

There are lots of ways to say that, and, one day, I hope I can add other folks' thoughts here, about being in the world but not of the world.

Remember, Jesus says we're a city on a hill, and that our light, of the Holy Spirit, cannot be hid. (Matthew 5:14)

That's comforting.

That means Christians will survive this time of trouble in the world. That means we're called to try to reach brothers and sisters all over this world, but that we're not going to leave faith in Jesus in order to try winning the world.

And that brings me to another question, like the first question:


What does it mean to be anchored, in Jesus?


I believe that being anchored in Jesus means more than one comforting truth. I believe being anchored means I remain secure in my faith, no matter how this world drifts away. I remain stayed on what I believe, no matter what happens.

Remember, being anchored in Jesus means being secure in your faith; but that's not the same as being chained up or tied down in sin.

Yet a word of caution: The battle is not against flesh and blood. Flesh and blood is not where darkness is. The battle isn't against my flesh, or yours.

There is a battle against spiritual darkness. But that battle doesn't cause us to need a change of flesh. Instead, God's goal in the battle is for us to break free of something that's not of the love of Jesus, for us not to take part in sin.

Living in a world that's not secure in Jesus is not like being anchored by the light of His forgiveness.


This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you,
that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1 John 1:5

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Does 'Slept with His Fathers' Mean?

In His Image

Are We on Mission?